Friday, September 3, 2010

College Care Package

It was a good excuse to send a care package-- I found a small portable lamp that my college freshman daughter could use near her sink in her dorm. She wanted something she could turn on early in the morning which would not disturb her sleeping roommate. It seemed silly to mail such a minor thing all by itself, so I decided some baking was in order.

I found black bananas in the freezer, ready to be thawed and smashed for banana bread. It didn't take long to mix up a batch of our favorite chocolate chip banana bread. I put the batter into a few mini loaf pans to make shipping and sharing easier. Then I made a batch of peanut butter cookies to accompany the lamp and bread. One upside of making cookies for a care package is that invariably there are too many in the batch to ship, so my husband and I were happy to eat the excess.

I bagged the mini loaves and cookies, wrapped them in bubble wrap, and put them in a priority mail box along with the cute little lamp, then sent them off to my daughter. I included a note instructing her to share some with her sister, who is also on campus.

The package arrived a couple of days later, to positive reviews. Our older daughter happened to be in younger daughter's dorm when she opened the package, so they shared the bread and cookies together. I've had several text messages since then about how delicious the bread was and that the cookies are gone.

I still haven't heard for sure if the little lamp will suitably serve its purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment